Note: In a June posting, we outlined some of the top food groups that owners should ensure remain out of their pet’s diet. Having heard of some unfortunate incidents this summer, we felt it was important to reiterate some of the highlights.
There is nothing more satisfying then enjoying a delicious meal that is made from scratch. While there are many foods that are safe for our pets to enjoy, there are some foods that can not only be hard for our pets to digest, but extremely dangerous to their bodies as well. Double check the food you’re sharing with your four-legged friend the next time you dine.
Onions, garlic and chives might add great flavor to many dishes, but for cats and dogs digesting any form of this legume can cause a gastrointestinal upset and a break down in red blood cells, leading to anemia. Cooked, raw, dried or powdered…keep these ingredients away from your pet’s food dish.
Dogs and cats should also steer clear of grapes and raisins. The causes are unknown, but these fruits can cause kidney failure. Pets that ingest grapes or raisins may show signs of repeated vomiting and lethargy.
We may think chocolate is the ultimate decadence, but to our furry friends it can be lethal. Dogs and cats have a negative reaction to the theobrominel, also known as xantheose, an alkaloid from the cocoa plant found in chocolate. This is extremely toxic to pets and can cause abnormal heart rhythm, seizures and a myriad of other health issues – sometimes fatal. (It is important to note theobrominel is found all forms of chocolate including white chocolate.)
Caffeine and alcohol are probably the last thing you would offer to your pet, but is important to take safety measures to keep your pet from getting into your morning cup of joe. Even coffee grounds contain caffeine that can cause heart palpitations, rapid breathing and bleeding in pets.
Keeping an appropriate balanced diet for your pet can help to ensure a longer, happier healthy life for your canine or feline friend.