While the Halloween holiday can be lots of fun for people, it can be a stressful and frightening time for pets. Here’s how to keep them safe.
Candy is a NO! Chocolate can be deadly to your dogs and cats, so be sure to keep treats out of their reach. Artificially sweetened treats with xylitol can be poisonous for pets, even in small amounts.
Keep your pets confined on Halloween night. Constant doorbell ringing, doors opening and closing, plus costumed visitors can be highly stressful, so it’s best to keep your critters crated or in a room well away from the door and all the action to reduce stress.
Keep glow sticks away from your pets! Glow sticks have become a popular accessory for little trick-or-treaters, but the temptation to chew them can become an issue if your pet gets ahold of one. While the interior gel is non-toxic, it can still make your pet sick.
Keep pets away from lit Jack-o-lanterns, candles and other decorations. Reduce the temptation for pets to get up close and personal with Halloween decor – they could get burnt, or cause a fire if they knock something over.
Don’t dress your pet in a costume unless they love it. Pets can be fickle – while one pet may adore dressing up and performing their own personal fashion parade, others will be freaked out by them. Costumes should not restrict the pet’s ability to move or breathe freely, block their vision or reduce their hearing. Any costumed pet should be supervised closely.
Important numbers to keep at hand:
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: 888-426-4435
Pet Poison Helpline: 844-520-4639
Happy Halloween, everyone!