- Work directly with your veterinarian to protect your pet against the dangers of periodontal disease.
- Combine regular home brushing with veterinary cleanings and dental care to keep periodontal disease at bay.
- Brush your pet’s teeth daily with a toothpaste that’s just for dogs. Your vet can recommend one. Regular brushing helps reduce plaque.
- Give your dog dental chews and chew toys – the gnawing also helps reduce plaque formation on the teeth. Look for specially formulated dental chews that have special enzymes to impede the formation of tartar. These are not a replacement for brushing, but will help keep your pet’s mouth clean and fresh.
- Schedule regular dental cleanings by your veterinarian – at least once per year.
February is Pet Dental Health Month so it’s the perfect time to schedule a cleaning. Click here to find an AZPetVet location near you.