We’re just about to come into monsoon season, so it’s time for our annual reminder about the biggest monsoon related hazard for pets: the Sonoran or Colorado Toad. During the hot and humid summer monsoon season, toads will emerge in yards and the desert, eventually ending up in pools and other areas your pet may be. They are TOXIC to pets!
Watch your pet’s behavior outdoors: Dogs and cats will be fascinated by toads and their movements, and will think it’s a great game to try to catch them in their mouths. Don’t let them!
Toads will also seek out water, so your pet’s water bowl is a perfect target. Be careful of where you place water outdoors. If your dog or cat comes in contact with a toxic toad, you’ll need to get to the vet, stat!
These symptoms of toad poisoning will be observable almost immediately:
- Severe drooling
- Head shaking
- Pawing at the mouth or eyes
- Muddy red mucous membranes
- Hyperthermia (overheating)
- Difficulty breathing
- Vomiting of yellow fluid
- Dilated pupils, loss of coordination,
- Vocalization, seizures, collapse, and death
ALERT!!! Toad poisoning is a life-threatening medical emergency. If you know or suspect your pet has been exposed to a toad, rinse your pet’s mouth out immediately, using a constant stream of water from a faucet or hose (if at all possible). Call your veterinarian, the closest emergency animal hospital, and/or the Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661.