Being a pet owner has many benefits. So many that in 2002 a college in Montana began offering a minor in Anthrozoology, studying the value of animals from an academic and scholarly perspective. In 2011 they began offering this as a college major. Many scholarly papers have come from those students but in “real life“ terms these are the reasons you need your pet.
- Decreased Stress
People with pets control their stress better. They let off steam talking to their pets (plus their pets don’t argue or talk back!).
- Increased Fitness
People with pets get more exercise. Pet owners tend to play with their pets, getting them up off the couch and doing more activity. Dog owners typically walk their pets at least twice a day, regardless of the outside temperature. Pets can instill good habits in those who otherwise would lead sedentary lives.
- Decreased Loneliness
People with pets are never lonely. They always have their best friend available. Pets give psychological comfort and companionship.
- Increased Self-Esteem
Pets are always there for you. They give their owners unconditional love.
- Increased Longevity
Many studies conclude that people live longer when they have a pet. Elderly patients with pets tend to outlive their petless peers. A recent study showed that patients discharged from a critical care unit to a home where a pet was waiting for them had a better one-year survival rate.
So for a much better, healthier and longer life GET A PET.
What are the two most important things for your pet to have a safe and happy winter?
- Food and Water
Your pet will need to have plenty of fresh water. This is important if you have a dog, a cat or even a horse. Water can freeze quickly outside so check their water source frequently if you have an outdoor pet or if they will be outside for even a short time Pets expend more energy in cold weather so their appetite may increase. It is important to provide access to fresh, nutritious food.
- Safe Environment
Outdoor pets need a safe shelter from winter elements like wind and snow. A shed with a warm ground cover like hay, straw or even old blankets or towels will work as long as it is easily accessible. With cats you have to be careful as they seek out warm spots that may be potentially harmful. One favorite hiding spot is under the hood of your car. If the car is started before the cat can escape, they can easily be injured or even killed. Honking the horn or peeking under the hood can help prevent such accidents. Also, make sure to give pets a little extra time to move as cold weather can slow them down.
Many inside pets still spend some time outdoors on walks or in the yard. Many of them could benefit from a sweater, coat, or even booties if you can get them to wear them. When bringing your pet back inside, make sure to wipe their paws, legs, and tummies in case they came into contact with common winter chemicals like salt or antifreeze.
Also – Don’t EVER leave your pet alone in the car in the winter. The temperature can drop very quickly and become life threatening. And please watch them closely if you have a heater or fireplace because, just like children, pets can sometimes get too close which may result in burns on their tender paws.
These simple things will help ensure your pet has a safe, cozy and happy winter.
Cats are really unique and amazing creatures. Cats are very single minded creatures and they will always do exactly what they want, unlike a dog which will try to please its owner by being obedient.
There are many, many amazing facts about cats . Here are a few of the more intriguing ones.
The oldest known pet cat was recently found in a 9,500-year-old grave on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus.
According to Hebrew legend, Noah prayed to God for help protecting all the food he stored on the ark from being eaten by rats. In reply, God made the lion sneeze, and out popped a cat
Cat urine glows in the dark when a black light shines on it. If you think your cat or kitten has had an accident in your home, use a black light to find the mishap.
The print on a cat’s nose has a unique ridged pattern, like a human fingerprint.
Each year Americans spend four billion dollars on cat food. That’s one billion dollars more than they spend on baby food!
When a family cat died in ancient Egypt, family members held elaborate funerals. The cat was embalmed with a sculpted wooden mask and the tiny mummy was placed in the family tomb.
The biggest wildcat today is the Siberian Tiger. It can be more than 12 feet long and weigh up to 700 pounds.
The costliest cat ever is named Little Nicky, who cost his owner $50,000. He is a clone of an older cat.
In the original Italian version of Cinderella, the benevolent fairy godmother figure was a cat.
In Holland’s embassy in Moscow, Russia, the staff noticed that the two Siamese cats kept meowing and clawing at the walls of the building. Their owners finally investigated, thinking they would find mice. Instead, they discovered microphones hidden by Russian spies. The cats heard the microphones when they turned on.
The world’s rarest coffee comes from Indonesia where a wildcat known as the luwak lives. The cat eats coffee berries and the coffee beans inside pass through the stomach. The beans are harvested from the cat’s dung heaps and then cleaned and roasted. Kopi Luwak sells for about $500 a 1 lb.
.In just seven years, a single pair of cats and their offspring could produce a staggering total of 420,000 kittens.
The cat who holds the record for the longest non-fatal fall is Andy. He fell from the 16th floor of an apartment building (about 200 ft and survived.
Having a loved one with diabetes is sometimes hard. When its your favorite pet it can be even harder. Taking care of a kitty with diabetes doesn’t have to be a daunting task; here are four simple things you can do.
- Diet is important If your cat has diabetes you should not feed them dry food. A high protein, low carbohydrate diet is recommended by most vets, and most dry foods contain lots of extra carbs. Just like in humans, carbs tend to raise blood sugar levels so lowering those carbs is very important.
- Home testing isn’t as hard as it may look Like humans, pets with diabetes need to have their blood sugar levels tested. With a little practice it can be an easy process to do at home.
- Giving Insulin is another amazing easy task If your pet needs insulin, you will need to give it by injection. You can talk to your vet about the best way to do this, as well as ask him for some pointers. If you find you need a refresher there are also many online videos and other resources available.
- Work with your vet your pet will probably need to be seen more frequently. Work with your vet to make them part of your pet’s ongoing treatment plan.
Getting woken up at 2am is never good, but when it happens night after night by your beloved cat it’s even worse. Just like people, cats can have trouble sleeping but sometimes there are other things going on. Here are a few things you might look for if your cat is waking you up.
- Being Sick Illness is a common reason cats are up at strange times. It could be something minor like a toothache or maybe arthritis. If your cat is displaying any signs of pain when they wake you up, a simple call to the vet in the morning might be a good idea.
- Weather Some animals, not only cats, can get very spooked during storms. Using a soothing voice and petting your pet might help calm them until the storm passes.
- Nothing better to do As funny as it might sound, your cat may just be bored. Cats, or more often kittens, can get bored and decide that waking you up is the best way to cure their boredom. You might try playing a little extra before going to sleep to help get them as tired as you are.
- Same old thing It might be out of habit that your cats up and awake. If you have a change of schedules your pet might not adjust as fast as you do. It might just take a little time for them to adjust.
- We want treats NOW!!! Going from bed straight to filling the food bowl trains your cat that if they are hungry then getting you out of bed is the solution. You might try a high protein snack before bed or have a self filling dish to help them make it through.
Just a few things to help you guys make it through the night. Waking up tired doesn’t make anyone’s day any better.